Save money by doing a manicure yourself
Manicures are all the rage, but chips and nicks soon after a visit to the nail salon cause frustration in women everywhere, especially after paying a hefty price. Here are a few tips for do-it-yourself manicures that will look good and last long, without burning a hole in your pocket.
– Remove old nail polish with an acetone-free remover. Place a cotton pad soaked in remover on your nail for up to a minute before wiping it off. It softens the polish and makes removal easier.
– Shape your nails before they are softened by soaking. File in one direction on the top and corners, but not the sides. This will weaken your nails.
– Soak your fingertips in warm, soapy water for three to five minutes. It feels good and softens your cuticles at the same time.
– Gently push back your cuticles with a cuticle pusher. Be careful not to break the skin, as this could cause an infection.
– Trim any hangnails and then wash your hands.
– Moisturize by massaging your hands with hand cream.
– Wipe your nails to remove any residue, and then apply a base coat over the nail and across the tip. Let them dry then apply another two thin coats of enamel. Finally, apply a top coat to prevent the tips from chipping.